Hit Counter

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Faith Behind Flannel Board Theology

I've witnessed a steady trend since I hit my thirties. Many Christians who are my peers are in a state of perpetual doubt. For some reason, the older we get, the harder it is to not only believe God, but to believe in God. We are the "Thomas Generation."

We all know that story of Thomas - the disciple of Jesus who was not present when Jesus appeared to the other 10. He spent days listening to the others speak of the wonder of knowing the Risen Jesus, how amazing it was when He spoke to them, how awesome the impact of His presence was on their lives, etc. Imagine his mental state: "Mmm...nice for them."

Can you blame the guy? He probably spent those days in between hearing about Jesus and seeing Him, trying to muster up some excitement. I couldn't have done it. I like to see (in fact, that is how I learn: don't tell me, show me!).

I'm sure every human being goes through bouts of doubt like Thomas. At times, we sit in church listening to how everyone around us seems to be enjoying the presence of Christ (or at least looking like they do). We try to muster up some excitement - be happy for those whose experience is palpable. "Mmm...nice for them." :)

Why does it seem that the older we get, the harder faith becomes? Simple. We are in the world. We are surrounded by pain, immense suffering and strife. Faith is not easy-peasy. Spiritual matters are tough stuff. We are not dealing with flannel board theology anymore.

When we were younger, it seemed easy that God saved Daniel from the lion's den. What we didn't know back then, is that God doesn't often save human life. He allows brutal/evil men and women to carry out unspeakable atrocities. He allows premature and accidental death. He allows disease. He allows abuse.

On one hand, we hear how wonderful Jesus is, on the other, we witness horror. We are in the in-between place where Thomas was. He heard how wonderful Jesus IS and yet wondered if He even existed. Sound familiar?

The "Just believe" and "Just have faith" isn't enough. What we've witnessed in this life is enough to snuff out our greatest attempt to believe in God and believe God. Faith HAS to be supernaturally born. Go ahead; try and muster your own excitement and belief!

Most times, it seems like our prayers are more, "Carry me - give me faith!" rather than "Yay Jesus! I can't help but believe you!" We are Thomas - longing to see that which we've heard about.

Jesus said to Thomas after being seen by him: "Blessed (happy) are those who do not see and yet believe." It really does come down to Jesus personally manifesting himself to individuals apart from sight. (Faith aside though, wouldn't more glimpses be something? How about his toothbrush - or one of his sandals perhaps?)

This generation needs faith. Pray for us. Won't the day carry an element of surprise when Jesus says to us: "Here - see/feel the scars!?" For once I'll mean it when I say, "OMG!"

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no choice in my mind...Most of what I've experienced is the same as where Thomas was for those in-between days.

    ReplyDelete