Hit Counter

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

How Would You Answer?

Maybe you've read the exchange between Jesus and Peter in John 21:15-17 (maybe not!). Due to the sometimes weak translation of the Greek language into English, we miss the heart of this passage. When I studied Greek, this passage was highlighted as an example of how we lose meaning in translation.

Jesus asks Peter three times, "Do you love me?" What we don't see (because there is only one word for "love" in English and four "loves" in Greek), is that with each question asked by Jesus, He lessens the extent of the love... Two of the four Greek words for "love" are used in this passage as follows (very loose paraphrase):

Jesus asks Peter, "Simon, Son of John, do you love me unconditionally (Greek is agape) more than these other disicples? Peter answers, "You know that I am fond of you (Greek is phileo)."

Jesus asks Peter, "Simon, Son of John, do you love me unconditionally (drops the "more than these other disciples")? Peter answers, "Yes Lord, you know that I am fond of you."

Jesus asks Peter, "Simon, Son of John, are you fond of me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him a third time, and answers, "Lord, you know all things, you know I am fond of you."

What do I make of this exchange? First, how could Peter ever answer that he loved Jesus unconditionally when he had denied that he knew him three times in one night? He could not answer yes to loving Jesus unconditionally, and he could not answer yes to loving him more than the other disciples.

Isn't it interesting that Jesus brings the "love level" down each time? The second question drops the "love me more than these," as Jesus knew that Peter could not answer "Yes". The third question drops the unconditional love, and Jesus asks Peter if he is fond of him (brotherly love).

Why would Peter be hurt? He was hurt because he was asked if he loved Jesus three times, yes; however, I believe he was also hurt because he caught the jist of WHY Jesus asked him the three love questions. Whether the questions were designed to eradicate the three denials, make up for them, or give Peter the opportunity to state his love, I believed the questions ultimately pointed out to Peter where he was really at after three years of being with Jesus - he didn't have the power and strength to Love the Lord like he was loved BY the Lord. Peter saw in the questioning that he had conditions attached to his love for Jesus.

How do we love Jesus? How many times and in how many different ways would Jesus have to ask you and I? Could we say we love him unconditionally? Or are we really fond of him as far as our own comfort is concerned? It's not a conversation I would want to have right now - I could say I'm very fond of Him, but could I say I love Him unconditionally and more than other believers? ...uh, no.

Thank God He loves me unconditionally (even without the condition that I love Him back in exactly the right way). Although He commands us to love him with everything, I must depend on the Spirit to empower me to love Him when I am weak...which seems to be daily...or minutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment